The folks at Mashed.com have made a list of the biggest fast-food flops over the years. I gotta tell you, I've never heard of some of these. Onion Nuggets at McDonald's? Let's take a quick look...
- 1968: Kentucky Roast Beef – KFC tried to get into the ham and beef game and was successful in some test markets but “Kentucky Roast Beef ‘n Ham” and “Kentucky Roast Beef” couldn’t compete with their chicken items, so they flamed out and were dropped entirely.
- 1971: KFC’s Ribs – Another bust from KFC with some people saying the “ribs” were more like “meat-like paste” spread on some bones.
- 1978: McDonald’s Onion Nuggets – Deep-fried onion cubes that were the predecessors to Chicken McNuggets.
- 1979: McSpaghetti – McDonald’s rolled out McSpaghetti, fettuccine Alfredo and lasagna in the late 1970s but none of these stuck around with most people saying the McSpaghetti was too sweet.
- 1984: McDonald’s McDLT – This was a bust due to packaging issues. The sandwich separated the hot and cold portions of the burger in the Styrofoam container, but it was too strange to catch on despite being tasty.
- 2000: McDonald’s Salad Shakers – These seemed to be a great idea with an inexpensive salad that came in three varieties, but competition was tough and they were dropped after three years.
- 2003: McDonald’s McCrab – It set out to be like an East Coast crab cake but due to too many processed ingredients and not enough fresh ones it was a major fail.
Check out the full list from Mashed along with some really cool pictures when you CLICK HERE.